LAKE EFFECT NEWS, DIRECTLY TO YOU!
A regularly updated lake effect news feed, compiling the most recent news reports.
- Gone Grove? Why Many Milwaukeeans Want To Preserve Dan Kiley's Chestnut Trees February 14, 2019It's under a foot of snow right now so no one’s spending any time there. But that doesn’t mean the Dan Kiley -designed grove of chestnut trees along the south side of the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts is out of the spotlight. A little history: In December, the Marcus Center unveiled renovation plans […]
- Nature Itself Can Help Combat Climate Change, Report Says February 7, 2019The Nature Conservancy, a conservation group with programs spanning the globe, hopes that a report it compiled will help build the case for “natural” climate solutions. The report lays out how forests, wetlands and agricultural lands can significantly drive down greenhouse gas pollution. The Nature Conservancy also developed a carbon mapper to help people visualize […]
- 'It's All About Being In The Right Place At The Right Time' For Musician Grace Weber January 8, 2019Sometimes, you just have a suspicion a person is going to go on to big things. Almost exactly 11 years ago, Lake Effect interviewed an up-and-coming singer-songwriter who had just released her first CD. At the time, Wauwatosa-native Grace Weber was 19-years-old, a student at New York University, and half of the artistic duo of […]
- 5 Developments Coming To Downtown Milwaukee January 3, 2019From the opening of the Fiserv Forum to the Milwaukee Streetcar , 2018 was a year of major changes for downtown Milwaukee. But 2019 may prove to be even more transformative for the central city. There are several ongoing projects that will dramatically alter Milwaukee’s skyline. Some will rejuvenate areas that are currently marred by […]
- Rick Steves' 'Travel As A Political Act' Guides Readers To A Broader Perspective December 31, 2018Editor's note : This piece was originally published on March 6, 2018. When we say the word “vacation,” most Americans probably picture a white sand beach in Florida or perhaps an amusement park adventure with your family. However, guidebook author and PBS TV host Rick Steves urges you to use travel as an opportunity to […]
- MilWorking: Brian Sammons' Twisted Path To Distilling December 20, 2018Editor's note : This piece was originally published March 22, 2018. Distiller Brian Sammons is a do-it-yourself kind of guy. As founder of Twisted Path Distillery in Bay View, Sammons has taken his own twisted path to the profession and an equally unorthodox approach to his craft. When he was first starting to create the […]
- Award-Winning Wisconsin Cheeses To Try December 19, 2018Cheese contributor Jeanette Hurt joins us throughout the year to talk about some of the best cheese the Dairy State has to offer. And she says we’re especially fortunate to live in a state that is abundant with award-winning cheeses perfectly suited for sharing with guests for your Christmas or New Year’s party. From the […]
- Football & Politics: 'Big Game' Delivers Inside Look At NFL December 17, 2018Editor's note : This piece was originally published Sept. 11, 2018. Football is like politics. We support our leaders when we agree with them and want to throw the bums out when we don’t. The intersection between professional football and politics is pretty substantial, as Mark Leibovich learned over the past few years. "[NFL team […]
- Pickleball Is A Big 'Dill' In Wisconsin December 17, 2018Editor's note : This piece was originally published Aug. 22, 2018. Pickleball has nothing to do with pickles, but here in Wisconsin, it is a big 'dill'. Jokes aside, the once-niche sport has surged in popularity, especially here in Southeast Wisconsin. According to the USA Pickleball Association (USAPA), the number of places to play pickleball […]
- 'Lulu & Rocky In Milwaukee' Shows Children The City's Sophisticated & Fun Sides December 14, 2018Children’s books can be a great way to explore places you have been or have yet to visit. It’s even better when the characters visiting these places happen to be cute animals. In the first book of the Our City Adventure series, Lulu & Rocky in Milwaukee follows two fox friends (and their penguin friend […]
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.
Need a website design and developed? try Matt Mckinnon Digital | Graphic Designer
wind: 19mph NW
H 31 • L 28
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
- ‘Zombie deer disease’ has spread to 2 provinces and 24 states February 17, 2019Chronic wasting disease belongs to a family of diseases called prion diseases, which includes the human form of "mad cow disease."Eric Stober
- ‘We need wall’ proclaims Trump in new ‘Saturday Night Live’ cold open February 17, 2019Saturday Night Live returned with a spoof on U.S. President Donald Trump's declaration of a national emergency in order to receive funding for a border wall.Eric Stober
- Victims of Aurora shooting included intern on his first day February 17, 2019Trevor Wehner was a 21-year-old Northern Illinois University student on his first day as an intern in human resources at Henry Pratt Co. in Aurora and attended the fateful meeting where the gunman was fired and then started shooting.
- Brothers say Jussie Smollett paid them to carry out alleged attack: sources February 17, 2019On Saturday, Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi told CBS Chicago : "We can confirm that the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the Empire case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation."Eric Stober
- Trump’s pick for UN ambassador, Heather Nauert, withdraws February 17, 2019Heather Nauert said that “the past two months have been grueling for my family and therefore it is in the best interest of my family that I withdraw my name from consideration.”
- NFL settles collusion grievances with Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid February 17, 2019A confidentiality agreement prevented both sides from commenting - it remains unclear if the NFL admitted wrongdoing or how much money Reid, Kaepernick or others may have received.
- Viral video shows mayhem of massive car pileup in Missouri that left 1 dead February 16, 2019The video, shot by truck driver Jamon Weaver, shows car after car colliding into the pileup that included at least 15 cars.Eric Stober
- Southern Alberta missionary group rescued by helicopter in Haiti February 16, 2019The emergency evacuation of a group of southern Alberta missionaries once stranded in Haiti is underway.Jill Croteau
- Africa is getting its own pro basketball league, NBA and FIBA announce February 16, 2019The initial plan is for the 12-team league to begin play in January, and former U.S. President Barack Obama is among those who are expected to have direct involvement with the league’s operations.
- India, Iran both threaten action against Pakistan after suicide attacks on soldiers February 16, 2019Forty-four Indian paramilitary police and 27 Iranian Revolutionary Guards were killed in separate suicide bomb attacks this past week.Rahul Kalvapalle