LAKE EFFECT NEWS, DIRECTLY TO YOU!
A regularly updated lake effect news feed, compiling the most recent news reports.
- Alex Lasry Looks Beyond The Democratic National Convention To Milwaukee's Future March 13, 2019It’s official. Earlier this week, the Democratic National Committee chose Milwaukee as the site of its 2020 convention. According to DNC Chair Tom Perez, this is the first time the Democratic Party has held a national convention in the Midwest, outside of Chicago, since 1916. Milwaukee’s success in winning the host bid is due, in […]
- Native American Artists Honor & Provide A Contemporary Take On Their Traditions March 6, 2019Native American art has not often been characterized as such by the non-Native American world. From intricately-beaded clothing to ceramics to jewelry, the artworks that native peoples here created, and continue to create, are often found in the craft or perhaps the folk art areas of museum exhibitions. "Not so fast," says Karen Ann Hoffman. […]
- How Tim Busfield & Melissa Gilbert’s Passion For Theater Led To The Film 'Guest Artist' February 26, 2019Jeff Daniels is most famous for his acting work in movies, but the stage has long been his passion. In fact, he founded the Purple Rose Theater Company in his home state of Michigan. Back in the early 2000s, Daniels commissioned Pulitzer-winning playwright Lanford Wilson to create a new piece for his company. What was […]
- Producers Nigel Poor & Earlonne Woods On Translating 'Ear Hustle' Beyond The Podcast February 19, 2019Visual artist Nigel Poor has spent years offering us a glimpse of life behind bars. Poor is not incarcerated, but she has worked with people inside California’s San Quentin Prison to tell the stories of everyday life. Among the ways she’s done that is through curating a remarkable group of large-format photographs taken over the […]
- Gone Grove? Why Many Milwaukeeans Want To Preserve Dan Kiley's Chestnut Trees February 14, 2019It's under a foot of snow right now so no one’s spending any time there. But that doesn’t mean the Dan Kiley -designed grove of chestnut trees along the south side of the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts is out of the spotlight. A little history: In December, the Marcus Center unveiled renovation plans […]
- Nature Itself Can Help Combat Climate Change, Report Says February 7, 2019The Nature Conservancy, a conservation group with programs spanning the globe, hopes that a report it compiled will help build the case for “natural” climate solutions. The report lays out how forests, wetlands and agricultural lands can significantly drive down greenhouse gas pollution. The Nature Conservancy also developed a carbon mapper to help people visualize […]
- 'It's All About Being In The Right Place At The Right Time' For Musician Grace Weber January 8, 2019Sometimes, you just have a suspicion a person is going to go on to big things. Almost exactly 11 years ago, Lake Effect interviewed an up-and-coming singer-songwriter who had just released her first CD. At the time, Wauwatosa-native Grace Weber was 19-years-old, a student at New York University, and half of the artistic duo of […]
- 5 Developments Coming To Downtown Milwaukee January 3, 2019From the opening of the Fiserv Forum to the Milwaukee Streetcar , 2018 was a year of major changes for downtown Milwaukee. But 2019 may prove to be even more transformative for the central city. There are several ongoing projects that will dramatically alter Milwaukee’s skyline. Some will rejuvenate areas that are currently marred by […]
- Rick Steves' 'Travel As A Political Act' Guides Readers To A Broader Perspective December 31, 2018Editor's note : This piece was originally published on March 6, 2018. When we say the word “vacation,” most Americans probably picture a white sand beach in Florida or perhaps an amusement park adventure with your family. However, guidebook author and PBS TV host Rick Steves urges you to use travel as an opportunity to […]
- MilWorking: Brian Sammons' Twisted Path To Distilling December 20, 2018Editor's note : This piece was originally published March 22, 2018. Distiller Brian Sammons is a do-it-yourself kind of guy. As founder of Twisted Path Distillery in Bay View, Sammons has taken his own twisted path to the profession and an equally unorthodox approach to his craft. When he was first starting to create the […]
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.
Need a website design and developed? try Matt Mckinnon Digital | Graphic Designer
wind: 17mph NW
H 62 • L 57
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
- Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation: An extensive timeline March 24, 2019Throughout the investigation, U.S. President Donald Trump has called it a “witch hunt” and a waste of taxpayer dollars.Katie Dangerfield
- Mueller report: Key players indicted in the Russia probe March 24, 2019A total of 34 people and three companies have either been indicted or pleaded guilty to criminal charges in Robert Mueller’s investigation.Rebecca Joseph
- ‘Total exoneration’: Donald Trump, White House hail Mueller investigation findings March 24, 2019"No Collusion, No Obstruction, Complete and Total EXONERATION. KEEP AMERICA GREAT!" Trump tweeted Sunday afternoon.Rahul Kalvapalle
- READ: Full text of Mueller report summary by U.S. Attorney General March 24, 2019United States Attorney General William Barr sent a letter to Congress on Sunday summarizing a report by Special Counsel Robert Mueller on his investigation into Russia's role in the 2016 presidential election.
- What you need to know about the Robert Mueller investigation March 24, 2019Robert Mueller concluded his two-year investigation into possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.Jesse Ferreras
- Mueller report does not conclude Trump committed crime but ‘does not exonerate him’ March 24, 2019Trump described the 22-month-long investigation into his campaign and Russia as an "llegal takedown that failed."Kerri Breen
- LIVE: U.S. Attorney General’s summary of the Mueller report released March 24, 2019U.S. Attorney General William Barr is expected to release a summary of Robert Mueller‘s long-awaited report into Donald Trump‘s 2016 election campaign and allegations of Russian interference on Sunday. See our live coverage of developments here.Jessica Vomiero
- Russian planes carrying 100 troops, defense official land in Venezuela: report March 24, 2019Two Russian air force planes landed in Venezuela's main airport on Saturday carrying a Russian defense official and nearly 100 troops, according to a local journalist,
- Amid Brexit crisis, reports of U.K. cabinet plotting to topple Theresa May March 24, 2019Theresa May was holding crisis talks with colleagues on Sunday in an effort to breathe life into her twice-defeated Brexit deal.
- U.S. attorney general to reveal Mueller report findings Sunday afternoon: sources March 24, 2019Attorney General William Barr was expected to release his first summary of Mueller's findings on Sunday.