LAKE EFFECT NEWS, DIRECTLY TO YOU!
A regularly updated lake effect news feed, compiling the most recent news reports.
- Gone Grove? Why Many Milwaukeeans Want To Preserve Dan Kiley's Chestnut Trees February 14, 2019It's under a foot of snow right now so no one’s spending any time there. But that doesn’t mean the Dan Kiley -designed grove of chestnut trees along the south side of the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts is out of the spotlight. A little history: In December, the Marcus Center unveiled renovation plans […]
- Nature Itself Can Help Combat Climate Change, Report Says February 7, 2019The Nature Conservancy, a conservation group with programs spanning the globe, hopes that a report it compiled will help build the case for “natural” climate solutions. The report lays out how forests, wetlands and agricultural lands can significantly drive down greenhouse gas pollution. The Nature Conservancy also developed a carbon mapper to help people visualize […]
- 'It's All About Being In The Right Place At The Right Time' For Musician Grace Weber January 8, 2019Sometimes, you just have a suspicion a person is going to go on to big things. Almost exactly 11 years ago, Lake Effect interviewed an up-and-coming singer-songwriter who had just released her first CD. At the time, Wauwatosa-native Grace Weber was 19-years-old, a student at New York University, and half of the artistic duo of […]
- 5 Developments Coming To Downtown Milwaukee January 3, 2019From the opening of the Fiserv Forum to the Milwaukee Streetcar , 2018 was a year of major changes for downtown Milwaukee. But 2019 may prove to be even more transformative for the central city. There are several ongoing projects that will dramatically alter Milwaukee’s skyline. Some will rejuvenate areas that are currently marred by […]
- Rick Steves' 'Travel As A Political Act' Guides Readers To A Broader Perspective December 31, 2018Editor's note : This piece was originally published on March 6, 2018. When we say the word “vacation,” most Americans probably picture a white sand beach in Florida or perhaps an amusement park adventure with your family. However, guidebook author and PBS TV host Rick Steves urges you to use travel as an opportunity to […]
- MilWorking: Brian Sammons' Twisted Path To Distilling December 20, 2018Editor's note : This piece was originally published March 22, 2018. Distiller Brian Sammons is a do-it-yourself kind of guy. As founder of Twisted Path Distillery in Bay View, Sammons has taken his own twisted path to the profession and an equally unorthodox approach to his craft. When he was first starting to create the […]
- Award-Winning Wisconsin Cheeses To Try December 19, 2018Cheese contributor Jeanette Hurt joins us throughout the year to talk about some of the best cheese the Dairy State has to offer. And she says we’re especially fortunate to live in a state that is abundant with award-winning cheeses perfectly suited for sharing with guests for your Christmas or New Year’s party. From the […]
- Football & Politics: 'Big Game' Delivers Inside Look At NFL December 17, 2018Editor's note : This piece was originally published Sept. 11, 2018. Football is like politics. We support our leaders when we agree with them and want to throw the bums out when we don’t. The intersection between professional football and politics is pretty substantial, as Mark Leibovich learned over the past few years. "[NFL team […]
- Pickleball Is A Big 'Dill' In Wisconsin December 17, 2018Editor's note : This piece was originally published Aug. 22, 2018. Pickleball has nothing to do with pickles, but here in Wisconsin, it is a big 'dill'. Jokes aside, the once-niche sport has surged in popularity, especially here in Southeast Wisconsin. According to the USA Pickleball Association (USAPA), the number of places to play pickleball […]
- 'Lulu & Rocky In Milwaukee' Shows Children The City's Sophisticated & Fun Sides December 14, 2018Children’s books can be a great way to explore places you have been or have yet to visit. It’s even better when the characters visiting these places happen to be cute animals. In the first book of the Our City Adventure series, Lulu & Rocky in Milwaukee follows two fox friends (and their penguin friend […]
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.
Need a website design and developed? try Matt Mckinnon Digital | Graphic Designer
wind: 8mph E
H 23 • L 17
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
- Karl Lagerfeld, iconic Chanel fashion designer, dies at 85 February 19, 2019German haute-couture designer Karl Lagerfeld, artistic director at Chanel and an icon of the global fashion industry for over half a century, has died, a source at the French fashion house Chanel said on Tuesday.
- Bernie Sanders enters race for 2020 presidential campaign February 19, 2019U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders said he will run for president again in the 2020 election.Katie Dangerfield
- Venezuelan gov’t to stage concerts to rival Richard Branson’s charity show February 19, 2019The rival bids for aid and concerts to shore up support are part of a tense bid by both Maduro and the opposition to break a monthlong stalemate over power in Venezuela.
- Rod Rosenstein, who appointed Mueller to Russia probe, to quit as deputy AG in March: official February 19, 2019Rosenstein is expected to step down by mid March, a Justice Department official said on Monday.
- Roger Stone apologizes after posting Instagram photo showing judge next to crosshairs February 19, 2019"Any inference that this was meant to somehow threaten the Judge or disrespect court is categorically false," Stone said in a statement posted to Instagram.
- ‘Obama effect’ doubles visitors to Washington, D.C. portrait gallery February 19, 2019More than 2.3 million people have taken in the portraits of Barack and Michelle Obama at the National Portrait Gallery since February 2018.Abigail Bimman
- California, 15 other states sue Donald Trump over emergency declaration February 19, 2019California Attorney General Xavier Becerra released a statement Monday saying the suit alleges the Trump administration's action violates the Constitution.
- Trump tells Venezuelan military: Defect from Maduro and protect your future February 19, 2019Trump cautioned Venezuelan armed forces not to harm opposition leader Juan Guaido or other opposition politicians and demanded that they allow in food, medicine and other supplies.
- Islamic State on verge of defeat in Syria as 300 militants cornered in village February 18, 2019An estimated 300 militants are mixed in with hundreds of civilians, refusing to surrender and trying to negotiate an exit with the U.S.-backed forces surrounding them.
- U.K. approval of Huawei 5G networks would give Canada breathing room, expert says February 18, 2019British media reports say the U.K. National Cyber Security Centre has concluded that with care and safeguards, Huawei equipment can be used in "5G" networks.