LAKE EFFECT NEWS, DIRECTLY TO YOU!
A regularly updated lake effect news feed, compiling the most recent news reports.
- Writer David Sedaris On 'Calypso' & Getting Older June 17, 2019If you listen to public radio, you’ve probably heard David Sedaris. The writer has been a staple on This American Life and before that, Morning Edition , for many years. He has also authored a number of bestsellers, including Me Talk Pretty One Day , Barrel Fever , and most recently Calypso . Like his […]
- CNN's 'United Shades Of America' Highlights Injustices Facing People Of Color In Milwaukee June 7, 2019The CNN documentary series United Shades of America is nearing the end of its fourth season, and the second to last episode is all about Milwaukee. The Emmy Award-winning series follows host W. Kumau Bell, a black standup comedian, who travels across the country. He goes to places he says the audience may not expect […]
- A Look Inside The Soul: On The Wing Exhibit Features Sketchbooks From Milwaukee Artists May 30, 2019Sketchbooks offer an intimate look at the soul of an artist. An exhibit currently at the Portrait Society Gallery in Milwaukee’s Third Ward is putting some souls on display. The exhibition features sketchbooks from the gallery's On The Wing Project , which gives sketchbooks and art supplies to Milwaukeeans at the House of Peace community […]
- Report: Married Mothers Are Doing More Housework Than Single Mothers May 21, 2019Married mothers — and mothers with live-in partners — are doing more housework than their single counterparts. That’s according to a new study, which found that married mothers do around 32 minutes more of daily housework than single mothers. But why? Researchers Joanna Pepin and Noelle Chesley say the differences may be based in gender […]
- Reports From The Frontlines Of PTSD Science May 16, 2019Mental health experts believe about 6 million people in the United States suffer from some degree of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). It’s a mental condition that wasn’t even officially recognized by science until the 1980s. It now represents a significant public health issue, among people as varied as combat veterans and small children growing up […]
- Milwaukee Restaurateur Joe Bartolotta Dies April 23, 2019Joe Bartolotta, co-owner of The Bartolotta Restaurants, died in his sleep, the restaurant group shared Tuesday. He was 60 years old. For the past 25 years, Bartolotta's name has been synonymous with fine and quality dining in southeastern Wisconsin. He oversaw some of the area's most successful eateries, including Ristorante Bartolotta, Lake Park Bistro, Harbor […]
- Secretary Robert Wilkie Outlines Cultural Changes At The Department Of Veterans Affairs April 16, 2019Robert Wilkie was appointed as the Secretary of U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs last July. Wilkie grew up at Fort Bragg in a military family and still serves as an officer in the Air Force Reserve. As secretary of the cabinet level department, he’s responsible for ensuring the VA serves veterans’ physical, mental, and emotional […]
- Mark Siddall: In Praise Of Creepy, Crawly Things April 10, 2019Mark Siddall is a specialist in the kinds of things you probably hope stay the heck out of your house. Siddall is the curator of invertebrates at the American Museum of Natural History in New York, and specializes in things like leeches and parasites — and also in the field of poisons and toxicology. But […]
- A Fusion Of Classical Ballet & African Dance: 'Lambarena' Makes Its Milwaukee Debut April 3, 2019Lambarena is an exuberant fusion that makes its Milwaukee debut tonight. The music of Johann Sebastian Bach melds with African drumming; traditional ballet melds with traditional African dance. Lambarena has been wildly popular in the 24 years since its creation, with performances around the world. That's something its creator, choreographer Val Caniparoli, is thrilled about, […]
- Does Milwaukee Have Enough Hotels For The Democratic National Convention? March 26, 2019Since the Democratic National Committee (DNC) announced it will hold its 2020 convention in Milwaukee , there have been a lot of conversations about what that means for the city . One issue that continues to raise questions is the number of available hotel rooms for delegates and everyone else that will be in town […]
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.
Need a website design and developed? try Matt Mckinnon Digital | Graphic Designer
wind: 10mph S
H 73 • L 73
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
- U.S. Senate passes $4.6B measure to deliver aid to southern border June 27, 2019The sweeping 84-8 vote came less than 24 hours after the Democratic-controlled House approved a similar measure backed by liberals.
- Hong Kong protests bring thousands to consulates as G20 approaches June 27, 2019"Please liberate Hong Kong."
- Facebook ‘evaluating’ deepfake video policy: Zuckerberg June 27, 2019Facebook, like other social media companies, does not have a specific policy against deepfakes, whose potential threat has emerged only in the last couple of years.
- Coal subsidies up by more than double in G20 countries: Report June 26, 2019The report also says in order to avoid "dangerous climate change," G20 governments "must commit to rapidly ending their support for coal."Hannah Jackson
- Democratic presidential hopefuls to face off in first debate of 2020 campaign June 26, 2019Ten candidates will participate in the two-hour debate on Wednesday.
- ‘This is terrifying’: Immigrant parents frantic over daughter in U.S. government custody June 26, 2019Almost a week after an inconsolable 7-year-old girl called her dad, sobbing, from inside a Texas Border Patrol station, the father says he still hasn’t been able to see her.
- China’s ban on Canadian meat will lead to ‘huge’ losses, industry says June 26, 2019"China is a very important market for Canadian producers," the Canadian Pork Council said in a statement.Kerri Breen
- Wait, There’s More podcast: The media and the Trump bump June 26, 2019Host Tamara Khandaker speaks with Neal Rothschild of Axios about the decline of the Trump bump in media coverage and also previews the first Democratic debate.Wait, There’s More
- FAA says new potential risk identified on Boeing 737 MAX jets June 26, 2019The risk was discovered during a simulator test last week, sources with knowledge of the matter told Reuters.
- Pro-Trump Reddit channel ‘quarantined’ over threats of violence June 26, 2019Visitors to r/The_Donald on Reddit see a warning page explaining that the subreddit has been "quarantined" over "significant issues with reporting and addressing violations" of the site's content policy.Kerri Breen