LAKE EFFECT NEWS, DIRECTLY TO YOU!
A regularly updated lake effect news feed, compiling the most recent news reports.
- Alex Lasry Looks Beyond The Democratic National Convention To Milwaukee's Future March 13, 2019It’s official. Earlier this week, the Democratic National Committee chose Milwaukee as the site of its 2020 convention. According to DNC Chair Tom Perez, this is the first time the Democratic Party has held a national convention in the Midwest, outside of Chicago, since 1916. Milwaukee’s success in winning the host bid is due, in […]
- Native American Artists Honor & Provide A Contemporary Take On Their Traditions March 6, 2019Native American art has not often been characterized as such by the non-Native American world. From intricately-beaded clothing to ceramics to jewelry, the artworks that native peoples here created, and continue to create, are often found in the craft or perhaps the folk art areas of museum exhibitions. "Not so fast," says Karen Ann Hoffman. […]
- How Tim Busfield & Melissa Gilbert’s Passion For Theater Led To The Film 'Guest Artist' February 26, 2019Jeff Daniels is most famous for his acting work in movies, but the stage has long been his passion. In fact, he founded the Purple Rose Theater Company in his home state of Michigan. Back in the early 2000s, Daniels commissioned Pulitzer-winning playwright Lanford Wilson to create a new piece for his company. What was […]
- Producers Nigel Poor & Earlonne Woods On Translating 'Ear Hustle' Beyond The Podcast February 19, 2019Visual artist Nigel Poor has spent years offering us a glimpse of life behind bars. Poor is not incarcerated, but she has worked with people inside California’s San Quentin Prison to tell the stories of everyday life. Among the ways she’s done that is through curating a remarkable group of large-format photographs taken over the […]
- Gone Grove? Why Many Milwaukeeans Want To Preserve Dan Kiley's Chestnut Trees February 14, 2019It's under a foot of snow right now so no one’s spending any time there. But that doesn’t mean the Dan Kiley -designed grove of chestnut trees along the south side of the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts is out of the spotlight. A little history: In December, the Marcus Center unveiled renovation plans […]
- Nature Itself Can Help Combat Climate Change, Report Says February 7, 2019The Nature Conservancy, a conservation group with programs spanning the globe, hopes that a report it compiled will help build the case for “natural” climate solutions. The report lays out how forests, wetlands and agricultural lands can significantly drive down greenhouse gas pollution. The Nature Conservancy also developed a carbon mapper to help people visualize […]
- 'It's All About Being In The Right Place At The Right Time' For Musician Grace Weber January 8, 2019Sometimes, you just have a suspicion a person is going to go on to big things. Almost exactly 11 years ago, Lake Effect interviewed an up-and-coming singer-songwriter who had just released her first CD. At the time, Wauwatosa-native Grace Weber was 19-years-old, a student at New York University, and half of the artistic duo of […]
- 5 Developments Coming To Downtown Milwaukee January 3, 2019From the opening of the Fiserv Forum to the Milwaukee Streetcar , 2018 was a year of major changes for downtown Milwaukee. But 2019 may prove to be even more transformative for the central city. There are several ongoing projects that will dramatically alter Milwaukee’s skyline. Some will rejuvenate areas that are currently marred by […]
- Rick Steves' 'Travel As A Political Act' Guides Readers To A Broader Perspective December 31, 2018Editor's note : This piece was originally published on March 6, 2018. When we say the word “vacation,” most Americans probably picture a white sand beach in Florida or perhaps an amusement park adventure with your family. However, guidebook author and PBS TV host Rick Steves urges you to use travel as an opportunity to […]
- MilWorking: Brian Sammons' Twisted Path To Distilling December 20, 2018Editor's note : This piece was originally published March 22, 2018. Distiller Brian Sammons is a do-it-yourself kind of guy. As founder of Twisted Path Distillery in Bay View, Sammons has taken his own twisted path to the profession and an equally unorthodox approach to his craft. When he was first starting to create the […]
- An error has occurred, which probably means the feed is down. Try again later.
Need a website design and developed? try Matt Mckinnon Digital | Graphic Designer
wind: 17mph WNW
H 58 • L 55
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
- Jaw-dropping video captures machete-and-knife fight during attempted gas station robbery March 20, 2019Unbelievable video out of Alabama shows two would-be gas station robbers bringing a couple of knives to a machete fight.Adam Frisk
- Arizona woman charged with abusing children, forcing them to appear in YouTube series March 20, 2019The children alleged they would be pepper-sprayed, beaten, forced to take ice baths and locked in a closet without food, water or access to a washroom for days.Sean Previl
- Lawsuit launched after Massachusetts mayor facing fraud re-elected after recall March 20, 2019Jasiel Correia was recalled over tax and fraud charges before being re-elected in the same ballot.Sean Previl
- ‘I have lost everything’: Mozambique residents plead for help after Cyclone Idai kills hundreds March 20, 2019These photos show the scale of devastation left behind in Mozambique by the cyclone.Maham Abedi
- Trump ‘doesn’t mind’ if Mueller’s Russia investigation report is made public March 20, 2019Robert Mueller is preparing to submit a report to U.S. Attorney General William Barr on his findings, including Russia's role in the election and whether Trump unlawfully sought to obstruct the probe.
- Kellyanne Conway defends Trump after he calls her husband a ‘loser’ March 20, 2019Trump called George Conway, the spouse of one of his closest advisers, a “husband from hell!” on Twitter
- ‘Highly reckless’: Turkey’s Erdogan sparks diplomatic spat over N.Z. mosque attack comments March 20, 2019President Erdogan said Australians and New Zealanders travelling to Turkey with anti-Muslim sentiments would be sent back in coffins, 'like their grandfathers' in the Gallipoli campaign.
- Astonishing 45 rattlesnakes found under man’s home after he spotted ‘a few’ on his property March 20, 2019A man decided to enlist the help of professionals after he spotted “a few” snakes under his Texas home.Adam Frisk
- Canada slips spots on annual World Happiness Index, Finland takes 1st March 20, 2019Canada has fallen two spots on an annual ranking of global happiness — but remains in the top 10.
- Radovan Karadzic, ex-Bosnian Serb leader, sentenced to life by UN judges March 20, 2019Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic was previously convicted of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity.