LAKE EFFECT NEWS, DIRECTLY TO YOU!
A regularly updated lake effect news feed, compiling the most recent news reports.
- 'Lulu & Rocky In Milwaukee' Shows Children The City's Sophisticated & Fun Sides December 14, 2018Children’s books can be a great way to explore places you have been or have yet to visit. It’s even better when the characters visiting these places happen to be cute animals. In the first book of the Our City Adventure series, Lulu & Rocky in Milwaukee follows two fox friends (and their penguin friend […]
- What Are The Legal Implications Of Wisconsin Legislature's Reach Into Attorney General Powers? December 7, 2018Republican state lawmakers recently advanced bills that would strip power from both the incoming Democratic Gov. Tony Evers and Democratic Attorney General-elect Josh Kaul. For one, the new bills would require a legislative committee rather than the attorney general to sign off on withdrawing from lawsuits. This would prevent Kaul from withdrawing from a national […]
- 'We Want To Bring You Up With Us': Milwaukee Students Respond To Baraboo Photo November 29, 2018You’ve probably seen the now-infamous photo of dozens of Baraboo high school boys making what appears to be a Nazi salute. The photo drew international condemnation earlier this month, including from the Auschwitz Memorial Museum . As the story garnered attention around the world, a teacher at a Milwaukee high school felt compelled to respond. […]
- Former Wisconsin DNR Employee Says Environmental Standards Were Ignored To Allow Kohler Golf Course November 12, 2018The Kohler company is keen to create a world-class golf course along Lake Michigan. But the project has faced obstacles. Critics fear the 18-hole course bordering Kohler-Andre State Park will impact a unique sand dune-wetland system. An organization called the Friends of the Black River Forest formed to try to put a stop to the […]
- The BBC's James Coomarasamy Visits Wisconsin Ahead Of The Midterm Elections October 24, 2018As we get closer to the Nov. 6 midterm elections, all eyes are on the political races that will decide the party makeup of the U.S. Congress. Depending on what voters in states like Wisconsin do, Republicans will either continue to control both the house and senate, or the Democrats could take control of one […]
- Informed Voter: Breaking Down Election Polls October 17, 2018During an election season, public opinion polls are always big news. It’s important to understand the fundamentals of polls and how the news media covers them. We received many texts from Wisconsinites with questions about polls for our Informed Voter series — a collaboration between WUWM and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel to answer questions texted […]
- Swiss Cheesemaker Crafts New Uniquely Wisconsin Cheese October 11, 2018It was big news nine years ago when the Swiss dairy cooperative, Emmi, purchased Monroe, Wisc.-based Roth Käse USA. The combined company became Emmi Roth , which makes its own Alpine cheeses in Wisconsin and imports cheese from Switzerland. The company's Wisconsin-produced cheeses have earned world championships, and with them, fans around the globe. So, […]
- Informed Voter: The Voting Process In Wisconsin October 3, 2018The voting process in Wisconsin can be confusing. Before your ballot can be counted, you have to be a registered voter. Then you have the option to vote early, absentee or actually go to the polls. Not to mention that you need to make sure you’re on top of any changes to voting laws. Our […]
- National Expert Considers Intersection Of Racism & Trauma In Milwaukee September 24, 2018A leading national voice on faith and race issues says in order to get to the heart of trauma's impact on Milwaukee, the community needs to confront issues such as segregation and racism. A wide spectrum of people from across the Milwaukee community will meet later this week to address the profound effect trauma is […]
- As Second Year Of Public Art Along Wisconsin Avenue Wraps Up, Sculpture Milwaukee Looks Ahead September 17, 2018Sculpture Milwaukee is a month away from wrapping up its second year of art installations along Wisconsin Avenue. This year, it was bracketed on one end by Robert Indiana’s iconic Love sculpture on the east and Ana Prvacka’s Stealing Shadows, Michelangelo to the west. "Public art is all around us," says Sculpture Milwaukee project director […]
- WATCH: Natural disasters make 2014 a year to forget for many December 30, 2014You never really know when disaster is going to strike - and 2014 was no different. Here's a list of some of the most notable natural disasters of the year.John Hadden
- Worries over disastrous flooding eases in snowbound Buffalo November 25, 2014Fears of disastrous flooding from a rapid meltdown of the Buffalo area's 7 feet of snow eased on Monday, but high winds became a menace, threatening to knock down trees and power lines.
- Buffalo braces for flooding as warming trend follows record snow November 23, 2014Buffalo, NY, is bracing for flooding as a warming trend follows three days of record snowfall.
- Warming trend brings flooding worries for Buffalo November 22, 2014Officials have issued a flood advisory for Buffalo and parts of western New York state as rain and warming temperatures are forecast for the region after a historic snowfall.
- Buffalo Bills will ‘host’ the New York Jets at Ford Field in Detroit November 21, 2014The Buffalo Bills home game against the New York Jets will not be played at Ralph Wilson Stadium on Sunday afternoon, the NFL has announced.Andrew Russell
- WATCH: Buffalo woman trapped in snowstorm gives birth in fire station November 20, 2014An expecting mother was forced to give birth at a Buffalo fire station after being unable to reach the hospital after the lake-effect snowstorm pounded upstate New York on Tuesday.Andrew Russell
- Sabres game against NY Rangers postponed due to Buffalo snowstorm November 20, 2014The NHL has postponed the Sabres' home game against the New York Rangers on Friday night due to a severe lake-effect storm hitting the Buffalo region.
- PHOTOS: Best memes out of Buffalo during epic snowstorm November 20, 2014A relentless lake-effect snowstorm continued to pound western New York for a third day -- but many residents have kept a sense of humour.Adam Frisk
- Storm blamed for 8th death in upstate New York November 20, 2014A massive lake-effect snowstorm that's been pounding the Buffalo area is being blamed for an eighth death.
Need a website design and developed? try Matt Mckinnon Digital | Graphic Designer
wind: 11mph NNW
H 56 • L 54
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
- Nicaragua journalists beaten by police as crackdown on press escalates December 16, 2018Nicaraguan police on Saturday beat at least seven journalists with batons, including one of the country's best known editors, in the aftermath of protests against President Daniel Ortega.
- Video of woman signing lyrics to her dad at Edmonton concert gains online attention December 16, 2018The video showing a woman signing to her dad has over 5 million views and has been shared 1 million times.Taylor Braat
- Strasbourg Christmas market shooter supported ISIS, father says December 16, 2018Four people died and a dozen were wounded in the Tuesday night attack at France's largest Christmas market.
- Family of migrant girl disputes U.S. Border Patrol’s story of her death December 16, 2018U.S. Border Patrol officials said 7-year-old Jakelin Caal had not had food and water in days, but her family disputes this.
- A looser grip on the reins: Why Trump chose Mulvaney as his new chief of staff December 16, 2018U.S. President Donald Trump has a personal rapport with Mick Mulvaney, and he fits the bill for someone who will let Trump be Trump.
- Yellow vest rallies held in Winnipeg, protesting against Trudeau government December 16, 2018Yellow vest rallies were held around Winnipeg to protest against the Trudeau government.Marek Tkach
- Disney Channel fires ‘Andi Mack’ actor accused of child luring attempt December 15, 2018Stoney Westmoreland has been fired after he was arrested in Salt Lake City for allegedly attempting to have a sexual relationship with an online acquaintance he believed was 13.
- Nearly 200 nations agree on framework for Paris Climate Agreement December 15, 2018After two weeks of talks in the Polish city of Katowice, nations finally reached consensus on a more detailed framework for the 2015 Paris Agreement.
- U.S.-led coalition destroys Syrian mosque used as ISIS command and control centre December 15, 2018Hajin is the last big town that the Islamic State holds in its remaining enclave east of the Euphrates River.
- Trucker rescues dogs thrown from moving vehicle on New York highway December 15, 2018A pair of beagle mixes are on the mend after authorities say someone threw them out of a moving vehicle on a snowy New York highway.