LAKE EFFECT NEWS, DIRECTLY TO YOU!
A regularly updated lake effect news feed, compiling the most recent news reports.
- Former Wisconsin DNR Employee Says Environmental Standards Were Ignored To Allow Kohler Golf Course November 12, 2018The Kohler company is keen to create a world-class golf course along Lake Michigan. But the project has faced obstacles. Critics fear the 18-hole course bordering Kohler-Andre State Park will impact a unique sand dune-wetland system. An organization called the Friends of the Black River Forest formed to try to put a stop to the […]
- The BBC's James Coomarasamy Visits Wisconsin Ahead Of The Midterm Elections October 24, 2018As we get closer to the Nov. 6 midterm elections, all eyes are on the political races that will decide the party makeup of the U.S. Congress. Depending on what voters in states like Wisconsin do, Republicans will either continue to control both the house and senate, or the Democrats could take control of one […]
- Informed Voter: Breaking Down Election Polls October 17, 2018During an election season, public opinion polls are always big news. It’s important to understand the fundamentals of polls and how the news media covers them. We received many texts from Wisconsinites with questions about polls for our Informed Voter series — a collaboration between WUWM and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel to answer questions texted […]
- Swiss Cheesemaker Crafts New Uniquely Wisconsin Cheese October 11, 2018It was big news nine years ago when the Swiss dairy cooperative, Emmi, purchased Monroe, Wisc.-based Roth Käse USA. The combined company became Emmi Roth , which makes its own Alpine cheeses in Wisconsin and imports cheese from Switzerland. The company's Wisconsin-produced cheeses have earned world championships, and with them, fans around the globe. So, […]
- Informed Voter: The Voting Process In Wisconsin October 3, 2018The voting process in Wisconsin can be confusing. Before your ballot can be counted, you have to be a registered voter. Then you have the option to vote early, absentee or actually go to the polls. Not to mention that you need to make sure you’re on top of any changes to voting laws. Our […]
- National Expert Considers Intersection Of Racism & Trauma In Milwaukee September 24, 2018A leading national voice on faith and race issues says in order to get to the heart of trauma's impact on Milwaukee, the community needs to confront issues such as segregation and racism. A wide spectrum of people from across the Milwaukee community will meet later this week to address the profound effect trauma is […]
- As Second Year Of Public Art Along Wisconsin Avenue Wraps Up, Sculpture Milwaukee Looks Ahead September 17, 2018Sculpture Milwaukee is a month away from wrapping up its second year of art installations along Wisconsin Avenue. This year, it was bracketed on one end by Robert Indiana’s iconic Love sculpture on the east and Ana Prvacka’s Stealing Shadows, Michelangelo to the west. "Public art is all around us," says Sculpture Milwaukee project director […]
- Football & Politics: 'Big Game' Delivers Inside Look At NFL September 11, 2018It’s Tuesday already, but there are more than a few Packers fans still basking in the glow of their comeback victory over Chicago on Sunday night. Many of those same fans were expressing their disgust with the Packers leadership halfway through the game, when the score was lopsided in favor of the Bears. That's football. […]
- Harley-Davidson Looks To Grow New Markets As Trump Fumes August 28, 2018The Harleys are on their way to Milwaukee — actually, many of them are already here. Harley-Davidson’s 115th Anniversary Celebration officially runs Labor Day weekend, but numerous gatherings of motorcycle enthusiasts are already taking place around the region this week. But as thousands of owners and riders celebrate, the Milwaukee-based company still finds itself in […]
- Pickleball Is A Big 'Dill' In Wisconsin August 22, 2018Pickleball has nothing to do with pickles, but here in Wisconsin, it is a big 'dill'. Jokes aside, the once-niche sport has surged in popularity, especially here in Southeast Wisconsin. According to the USA Pickleball Association (USAPA), the number of places to play pickleball in the country has more than doubled since 2010. One place […]
- WATCH: Natural disasters make 2014 a year to forget for many December 30, 2014You never really know when disaster is going to strike - and 2014 was no different. Here's a list of some of the most notable natural disasters of the year.John Hadden
- Worries over disastrous flooding eases in snowbound Buffalo November 25, 2014Fears of disastrous flooding from a rapid meltdown of the Buffalo area's 7 feet of snow eased on Monday, but high winds became a menace, threatening to knock down trees and power lines.
- Buffalo braces for flooding as warming trend follows record snow November 23, 2014Buffalo, NY, is bracing for flooding as a warming trend follows three days of record snowfall.
- Warming trend brings flooding worries for Buffalo November 22, 2014Officials have issued a flood advisory for Buffalo and parts of western New York state as rain and warming temperatures are forecast for the region after a historic snowfall.
- Buffalo Bills will ‘host’ the New York Jets at Ford Field in Detroit November 21, 2014The Buffalo Bills home game against the New York Jets will not be played at Ralph Wilson Stadium on Sunday afternoon, the NFL has announced.Andrew Russell
- WATCH: Buffalo woman trapped in snowstorm gives birth in fire station November 20, 2014An expecting mother was forced to give birth at a Buffalo fire station after being unable to reach the hospital after the lake-effect snowstorm pounded upstate New York on Tuesday.Andrew Russell
- Sabres game against NY Rangers postponed due to Buffalo snowstorm November 20, 2014The NHL has postponed the Sabres' home game against the New York Rangers on Friday night due to a severe lake-effect storm hitting the Buffalo region.
- PHOTOS: Best memes out of Buffalo during epic snowstorm November 20, 2014A relentless lake-effect snowstorm continued to pound western New York for a third day -- but many residents have kept a sense of humour.Adam Frisk
- Storm blamed for 8th death in upstate New York November 20, 2014A massive lake-effect snowstorm that's been pounding the Buffalo area is being blamed for an eighth death.
Need a website design and developed? try Matt Mckinnon Digital | Graphic Designer
wind: 3mph N
H 26 • L 18
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
- ‘I thought we were going to die’: Chicago elevator drops 84 floors with 6 people inside November 19, 2018The elevator and two others will be closed until repairs are made and officials figure out what happened.
- Democrat lawsuit claims Matthew Whitaker’s appointment as acting AG is unconstitutional November 19, 2018Three Senate Democrats filed a lawsuit Monday arguing that Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker's appointment is unconstitutional and asking a federal judge to remove him.
- Airbnb’s removal of listings from West Bank prompts criticism from Israel November 19, 2018Palestinians hailed as a step towards peace, while it was criticized by Israeli Tourism Minister Yariv Levin.
- Colorado man who killed pregnant wife, 2 daughters gets life sentence November 19, 2018A Colorado man was sentenced Monday to life in prison for killing his pregnant wife and their two young daughters and dumping their bodies on an oil work site.
- Police find four victims shot dead in Philadelphia basement November 19, 2018Police say four people were found dead in the basement of a Philadelphia home Monday, each with a single gunshot wound to the head.
- Honey-filled pacifiers not safe for babies, FDA warns after hospitalizations November 19, 2018The U.S. Federal Food and Drugs Administration is ruling against honey-filled pacifiers after a several infants were hospitalized.Maham Abedi
- Washington woman, 19, sings her way through brain surgery in Seattle November 19, 2018A 19-year-old woman sang her way through brain surgery recently as doctors attempted to remove a tumour that was causing her difficulty in being able to sing.Sean Previl
- Republicans want LGTBQ clause cut from USMCA – should trade talks dictate social policy? November 19, 2018In the USMCA trade deal, there are two lines about LGTBQ2+ issues. Is a trade deal the right place for this issue?Rebecca Joseph
- U.S. shuts down busiest Mexico border crossing to install new barriers November 19, 2018The installation of movable, wire-topped barriers threatens to complicate life for Mexicans using San Ysidro to enter the U.S. every day.
- What started the Camp Fire? California power lines come under scrutiny November 19, 2018Californians who lost their homes in the Camp Fire are starting to question whether their power company might have played a role in causing it.Josh K. Elliott