LAKE EFFECT NEWS, DIRECTLY TO YOU!
A regularly updated lake effect news feed, compiling the most recent news reports.
- 'It's All About Being In The Right Place At The Right Time' For Musician Grace Weber January 8, 2019Sometimes, you just have a suspicion a person is going to go on to big things. Almost exactly 11 years ago, Lake Effect interviewed an up-and-coming singer-songwriter who had just released her first CD. At the time, Wauwatosa-native Grace Weber was 19-years-old, a student at New York University, and half of the artistic duo of […]
- 5 Developments Coming To Downtown Milwaukee January 3, 2019From the opening of the Fiserv Forum to the Milwaukee Streetcar , 2018 was a year of major changes for downtown Milwaukee. But 2019 may prove to be even more transformative for the central city. There are several ongoing projects that will dramatically alter Milwaukee’s skyline. Some will rejuvenate areas that are currently marred by […]
- Rick Steves' 'Travel As A Political Act' Guides Readers To A Broader Perspective December 31, 2018Editor's note : This piece was originally published on March 6, 2018. When we say the word “vacation,” most Americans probably picture a white sand beach in Florida or perhaps an amusement park adventure with your family. However, guidebook author and PBS TV host Rick Steves urges you to use travel as an opportunity to […]
- MilWorking: Brian Sammons' Twisted Path To Distilling December 20, 2018Editor's note : This piece was originally published March 22, 2018. Distiller Brian Sammons is a do-it-yourself kind of guy. As founder of Twisted Path Distillery in Bay View, Sammons has taken his own twisted path to the profession and an equally unorthodox approach to his craft. When he was first starting to create the […]
- Award-Winning Wisconsin Cheeses To Try December 19, 2018Cheese contributor Jeanette Hurt joins us throughout the year to talk about some of the best cheese the Dairy State has to offer. And she says we’re especially fortunate to live in a state that is abundant with award-winning cheeses perfectly suited for sharing with guests for your Christmas or New Year’s party. From the […]
- Football & Politics: 'Big Game' Delivers Inside Look At NFL December 17, 2018Editor's note : This piece was originally published Sept. 11, 2018. Football is like politics. We support our leaders when we agree with them and want to throw the bums out when we don’t. The intersection between professional football and politics is pretty substantial, as Mark Leibovich learned over the past few years. "[NFL team […]
- Pickleball Is A Big 'Dill' In Wisconsin December 17, 2018Editor's note : This piece was originally published Aug. 22, 2018. Pickleball has nothing to do with pickles, but here in Wisconsin, it is a big 'dill'. Jokes aside, the once-niche sport has surged in popularity, especially here in Southeast Wisconsin. According to the USA Pickleball Association (USAPA), the number of places to play pickleball […]
- 'Lulu & Rocky In Milwaukee' Shows Children The City's Sophisticated & Fun Sides December 14, 2018Children’s books can be a great way to explore places you have been or have yet to visit. It’s even better when the characters visiting these places happen to be cute animals. In the first book of the Our City Adventure series, Lulu & Rocky in Milwaukee follows two fox friends (and their penguin friend […]
- What Are The Legal Implications Of Wisconsin Legislature's Reach Into Attorney General Powers? December 7, 2018Republican state lawmakers recently advanced bills that would strip power from both the incoming Democratic Gov. Tony Evers and Democratic Attorney General-elect Josh Kaul. For one, the new bills would require a legislative committee rather than the attorney general to sign off on withdrawing from lawsuits. This would prevent Kaul from withdrawing from a national […]
- 'We Want To Bring You Up With Us': Milwaukee Students Respond To Baraboo Photo November 29, 2018You’ve probably seen the now-infamous photo of dozens of Baraboo high school boys making what appears to be a Nazi salute. The photo drew international condemnation earlier this month, including from the Auschwitz Memorial Museum . As the story garnered attention around the world, a teacher at a Milwaukee high school felt compelled to respond. […]
- WATCH: Natural disasters make 2014 a year to forget for many December 30, 2014You never really know when disaster is going to strike - and 2014 was no different. Here's a list of some of the most notable natural disasters of the year.John Hadden
- Worries over disastrous flooding eases in snowbound Buffalo November 25, 2014Fears of disastrous flooding from a rapid meltdown of the Buffalo area's 7 feet of snow eased on Monday, but high winds became a menace, threatening to knock down trees and power lines.
- Buffalo braces for flooding as warming trend follows record snow November 23, 2014Buffalo, NY, is bracing for flooding as a warming trend follows three days of record snowfall.
- Warming trend brings flooding worries for Buffalo November 22, 2014Officials have issued a flood advisory for Buffalo and parts of western New York state as rain and warming temperatures are forecast for the region after a historic snowfall.
- Buffalo Bills will ‘host’ the New York Jets at Ford Field in Detroit November 21, 2014The Buffalo Bills home game against the New York Jets will not be played at Ralph Wilson Stadium on Sunday afternoon, the NFL has announced.Andrew Russell
- WATCH: Buffalo woman trapped in snowstorm gives birth in fire station November 20, 2014An expecting mother was forced to give birth at a Buffalo fire station after being unable to reach the hospital after the lake-effect snowstorm pounded upstate New York on Tuesday.Andrew Russell
- Sabres game against NY Rangers postponed due to Buffalo snowstorm November 20, 2014The NHL has postponed the Sabres' home game against the New York Rangers on Friday night due to a severe lake-effect storm hitting the Buffalo region.
- PHOTOS: Best memes out of Buffalo during epic snowstorm November 20, 2014A relentless lake-effect snowstorm continued to pound western New York for a third day -- but many residents have kept a sense of humour.Adam Frisk
- Storm blamed for 8th death in upstate New York November 20, 2014A massive lake-effect snowstorm that's been pounding the Buffalo area is being blamed for an eighth death.
Need a website design and developed? try Matt Mckinnon Digital | Graphic Designer
wind: 25mph NNW
H 20 • L 19
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
- Flights to Newark Airport grounded due to drone activity: reports January 22, 2019The reported sightings come on the heels of disruptions at London's Heathrow and Gatwick airports in the last month due to drone sightings.Rahul Kalvapalle
- Arizona Republican proposes porn tax to help fund Trump’s border wall January 22, 2019An Arizona State lawmaker has proposed a bill that would slap a tax on pornography, with some of the proceeds going towards funding President Donald Trump's border wall.Rahul Kalvapalle
- Pastor’s 12-year-old daughter dies in snow fort collapse during Illinois church service January 22, 2019Police are calling the death of a 12-year-old girl a "tragic accident" after a snow fort collapsed while she was playing with a friend outside a church.John Hadden
- Royal protocols: Why Meghan Markle always carries her purse in her hands January 22, 2019There's a reason why the royal women are often seen sporting hats.Laura Hensley
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says ‘system that allows billionaires’ is immoral January 22, 2019Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez, the Democratic congressperson from Queens, says the “system” that creates billionaires is wrong.Rebecca Joseph
- U.S. shutdown could end up costing $6B by Friday — more than Trump wants for the border wall January 22, 2019The record-long U.S. government shutdown could soon cost the economy more than the $5.7 billion that Donald Trump is demanding for his border wall, says an economist.Katie Dangerfield
- Kenan Thompson, other ‘Mighty Ducks’ cast members reunite at Anaheim Ducks game January 22, 2019Quack, quack, quack!Adam Frisk
- ‘Bikini climber’ Gigi Wu dies in the cold after hiking accident in Taiwan mountains January 22, 2019Gigi Wu, also known as the "Bikini Climber" on social media in Taiwan, has died of hypothermia after she fell into a ravine during a solo mountain trek.Josh K. Elliott
- Olympic champ accuses coach of rape; more allegations rock South Korean sports January 22, 2019There is a growing #MeToo movement in South Korea’s elite sports scene, which has been notorious for a brutal training culture and highly hierarchical relationships between coaches and athletes.
- Man accidentally invited to stranger’s bachelor party, flies more than 4,000 km to attend January 22, 2019A typo in an email lead to a Phoenix man getting to an invite to a bachelor party for a guy he had never met, and he ended up flying most of the way across the continental United States to attend.Adam Frisk