LAKE EFFECT NEWS, DIRECTLY TO YOU!
A regularly updated lake effect news feed, compiling the most recent news reports.
- Swiss Cheesemaker Crafts New Uniquely Wisconsin Cheese October 11, 2018It was big news nine years ago when the Swiss dairy cooperative, Emmi, purchased Monroe, Wisc.-based Roth Käse USA. The combined company became Emmi Roth , which makes its own Alpine cheeses in Wisconsin and imports cheese from Switzerland. The company's Wisconsin-produced cheeses have earned world championships, and with them, fans around the globe. So, […]
- Informed Voter: The Voting Process October 3, 2018The voting process in Wisconsin can be confusing. Before your ballot can be counted, you have to be a registered voter. Then you have the option to vote early, absentee or actually go to the polls. Not to mention that you need to make sure you’re on top of any changes to voting laws. Our […]
- National Expert Considers Intersection Of Racism & Trauma In Milwaukee September 24, 2018A leading national voice on faith and race issues says in order to get to the heart of trauma's impact on Milwaukee, the community needs to confront issues such as segregation and racism. A wide spectrum of people from across the Milwaukee community will meet later this week to address the profound effect trauma is […]
- As Second Year Of Public Art Along Wisconsin Avenue Wraps Up, Sculpture Milwaukee Looks Ahead September 17, 2018Sculpture Milwaukee is a month away from wrapping up its second year of art installations along Wisconsin Avenue. This year, it was bracketed on one end by Robert Indiana’s iconic Love sculpture on the east and Ana Prvacka’s Stealing Shadows, Michelangelo to the west. "Public art is all around us," says Sculpture Milwaukee project director […]
- Football & Politics: 'Big Game' Delivers Inside Look At NFL September 11, 2018It’s Tuesday already, but there are more than a few Packers fans still basking in the glow of their comeback victory over Chicago on Sunday night. Many of those same fans were expressing their disgust with the Packers leadership halfway through the game, when the score was lopsided in favor of the Bears. That's football. […]
- Harley-Davidson Looks To Grow New Markets As Trump Fumes August 28, 2018The Harleys are on their way to Milwaukee — actually, many of them are already here. Harley-Davidson’s 115th Anniversary Celebration officially runs Labor Day weekend, but numerous gatherings of motorcycle enthusiasts are already taking place around the region this week. But as thousands of owners and riders celebrate, the Milwaukee-based company still finds itself in […]
- Pickleball Is A Big 'Dill' In Wisconsin August 22, 2018Pickleball has nothing to do with pickles, but here in Wisconsin, it is a big 'dill'. Jokes aside, the once-niche sport has surged in popularity, especially here in Southeast Wisconsin. According to the USA Pickleball Association (USAPA), the number of places to play pickleball in the country has more than doubled since 2010. One place […]
- 5 Takeaways From Wisconsin’s 2018 Primary Results August 15, 2018The Wisconsin partisan primary is over and the results have set the stage for the general election in November. To help put those results into perspective, Lake Effect's Joy Powers chatted with Lilly Goren, professor of political science at Carroll University. VIEW: Wisconsin 2018 Primary Election Results Here's a look at five key takeaways from […]
- 'The Fall Of Wisconsin' Analyzes Conservative Influence On America's Dairyland July 30, 2018The last eight years have represented a sea change in the Wisconsin political environment. The election of Scott Walker as governor in 2010 ushered in an era of Republican dominance at many levels, including the 2016 Presidential election. Donald Trump won Wisconsin, a result that surprised many national political observers. The story of Wisconsin’s transformation […]
- Froedtert & The Medical College Of Wisconsin Open Inclusion Clinic To Serve The LGBTQ Community July 16, 2018There are more than 100 specialties in the field of medicine. However, few providers and clinics focus their care on the LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning/queer) community. LGBT Community Health Centers operate in only 37 of the 50 states, and many of those do not offer comprehensive services. A lack of access to […]
- WATCH: Natural disasters make 2014 a year to forget for many December 30, 2014You never really know when disaster is going to strike - and 2014 was no different. Here's a list of some of the most notable natural disasters of the year.John Hadden
- Worries over disastrous flooding eases in snowbound Buffalo November 25, 2014Fears of disastrous flooding from a rapid meltdown of the Buffalo area's 7 feet of snow eased on Monday, but high winds became a menace, threatening to knock down trees and power lines.
- Buffalo braces for flooding as warming trend follows record snow November 23, 2014Buffalo, NY, is bracing for flooding as a warming trend follows three days of record snowfall.
- Warming trend brings flooding worries for Buffalo November 22, 2014Officials have issued a flood advisory for Buffalo and parts of western New York state as rain and warming temperatures are forecast for the region after a historic snowfall.
- Buffalo Bills will ‘host’ the New York Jets at Ford Field in Detroit November 21, 2014The Buffalo Bills home game against the New York Jets will not be played at Ralph Wilson Stadium on Sunday afternoon, the NFL has announced.Andrew Russell
- WATCH: Buffalo woman trapped in snowstorm gives birth in fire station November 20, 2014An expecting mother was forced to give birth at a Buffalo fire station after being unable to reach the hospital after the lake-effect snowstorm pounded upstate New York on Tuesday.Andrew Russell
- Sabres game against NY Rangers postponed due to Buffalo snowstorm November 20, 2014The NHL has postponed the Sabres' home game against the New York Rangers on Friday night due to a severe lake-effect storm hitting the Buffalo region.
- PHOTOS: Best memes out of Buffalo during epic snowstorm November 20, 2014A relentless lake-effect snowstorm continued to pound western New York for a third day -- but many residents have kept a sense of humour.Adam Frisk
- Storm blamed for 8th death in upstate New York November 20, 2014A massive lake-effect snowstorm that's been pounding the Buffalo area is being blamed for an eighth death.
Need a website design and developed? try Matt Mckinnon Digital | Graphic Designer
wind: 7mph WNW
H 55 • L 48
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
- Search for missing Wisconsin girl continues after parents found dead October 16, 2018A girl resembling a missing teenager whose parents were found dead in their western Wisconsin home has been spotted at a gas station in south Florida, police said.
- ‘Certain evidence’ of Jamal Khashoggi’s killing found at Saudi consulate: Turkish official October 16, 2018Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan also said that some materials in the consulate appeared to be painted over.Maham Abedi
- Piers Morgan shames ‘emasculated’ Daniel Craig for carrying daughter in ‘papoose,’ dads fire back October 16, 2018On Monday, the breakfast talk show host tweeted a photo of the James Bond star carrying his daughter in what Morgan referred to as a “papoose.”Adam Frisk
- Trump calls Elizabeth Warren ‘total fraud,’ offers to give DNA test himself October 16, 2018U.S. President Donald Trump is lashing out at Democratic Sen. Elizabeth Warren after she released the results of her DNA test results.Rebecca Joseph
- China calls internment camps for Muslim Uighurs ‘free vocational training’ October 16, 2018The report was a rare move by the ruling Communist Party to publicly outline what it is trying to achieve with what former detainees have characterized as political indoctrination camps where they are forced to denounce Islam and profess loyalty to the party.
- Pompeo sits down with Saudi king over disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi October 16, 2018U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met Saudi Arabia's King Salman on Tuesday to discuss the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, as Turkish police prepared to search the Saudi consul's residence in Istanbul in a widening probe.
- There’s a 25 per cent chance Britain could leave the E.U. without a Brexit deal: poll October 16, 2018There is still a one-in-four chance Britain and the European Union part ways in less than six months without reaching a deal, according to a Reuters poll
- Border security beagle catches pig’s head in traveller’s luggage at Atlanta airport October 16, 2018“This seizure at ATL illustrate the tremendous expertise of our four-legged K-9 partners in protecting the United States."Jesse Ferreras
- Turkish investigators leave Saudi consulate after nine-hour inspection: witness October 16, 2018Four forensic vehicles arrived outside the consulate and took away soil samples as well as a metal door from the garden, the Reuters witness said.
- Australia is considering moving its embassy to Jerusalem October 16, 2018"Australia should be open-minded to [moving the embassy] and I am open-minded to [it] and our government is open-minded to [it]," Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison told reporters.